Disability affects around 16 million people in the UK, including 23% of working age adults and 45% of adults over State pension adults in the UK.
Accessibility Testing Services
Digital websites and applications are failing to meet the needs of the more than 1-in-5 UK customers and less than 1% of website homepages meet basic web accessibility standards
What is an Accessibility Test
An Accessibility Test provides a check of your application or website and a full set of actionable insights and recommendations on how to remove barriers that would otherwise prevent people with a range of disabilities from accessing it.
Accessibility is a regulatory requirement; non-compliance can come with a significant legal risk with financial impacts. All UK websites are covered by the Equality Act 2010 to protect and promote a fair and more equal society. As of summer 2019, all public sector websites must comply with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) and the latest published version is (WCAG) 2.2 AA standards. The Government Digital Service (GDS) has published guidance to support the public sector in meeting their legal obligations and publishing an Accessibility statement.
We work towards the W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.2 (WCAG), level A/AA/AAA, GDS guidelines and ADA Section 508 guidelines for websites with a US audience.
We take a combined approach to web accessibility testing. We work with a range of best-in-class tools such as Sort site, WAVE, aXe to automate and rapidly perform accessibility testing wherever possible. This is complemented by our team of UK or US-based test analysts and consultants who can identify additional issues that automation tools may not pick up.
Our accessibility testing service will provide you with the advice and guidance needed to support you through the WCAG self-certification process. We can also work with you to understand your plans for future development and expansion to ensure accessibility can be built into your product development lifecycle.
Benefits of Accessibility Testing
- Improve user experience by ensuring your site can be navigated, understood, and interacted with by all, regardless of disabilities
- Reduce the resources required to perform accessibility testing due to our established and efficient test approach
- Reduce costs of implementing accessibility standards as they are included from the outset of development (the earlier issues are found, the cheaper they are to fix)
- Meet upcoming regulatory timelines to fulfil legislative requirements
- Benefit from the advice of qualified testers, experienced in accessibility testing
- Receive user-friendly reports and actionable insights on accessibility issues found
- A tangible action plan of changes that can be made to ensure that accessibility considerations are ‘baked in’ to the development process
- Gain independent validation so that your website can be used by all
- Increase trust by displaying the appropriate WCAG conformance badge
- Receive documented evidence that your application is compliant with WCAG 2.2, GDS and Section 508 guidelines
Accessibility Test Service Features
- A flexible service that can be scaled according to available budget and resource
- A best-fit solution created utilising relevant tools and technologies for the application or website
- Delivered by UK or US-based, experienced testing experts
- Accessibility audits to ensure that your website or application is compliant with WCAG
- 2.2 A/AA/AAA, the Equality Act 2010, GDS and ADA Section 508 (where there is potential for US-based end users)
- Regular communication and reports detailing compliance defects and practical advice to create solutions
- Gain an awareness of accessibility standards in web development
- Assurance that your application is compliant with W3C/developer standards
Our Accessibility Audit services will help you to define the level of audit required for you to meet the following criteria:
- Accessibility of UK web sites covered by Equality Act 2010.
- Protects and promotes a fair and more equal society.
- Owners are required to make ‘reasonable adjustments’ to make their sites accessible to everyone.
UK Public Sector
- All new public sector web sites must meet WCAG 2.2 level AA standards using the GDS guidelines.
- A statement should be published on the site.
- All websites must now comply.
- US Government websites must meet Section 508 regulations.
- These regulations were revised in 2017 to include the WCAG 2.0 guidelines at level AA.
- WCAG 2.0 AA guidelines comply with the section 508 regulations.
What Changed in WCAG2.2?
How the new WCAG 2.2 guidelines impact your organisation? Learn what steps you should take with our webinar from Ten10 Principal Consultant, Charlotte Hayes
Our Accessibility Audits
The Accessibility Audit service provides a check of your application or website and a full set of actionable insights and recommendations on how to remove barriers that would otherwise prevent people with a range of disabilities from accessing it.
|Accessibility Audit Activity
|Testing to level A/AA/AAA compliance
|Number of templates/user journeys in scope to test
|1 – 10
|1 – 10
|10 – 20
|Number of browser/device combinations
|Accessibility tools used for the audit
|Audit report created which includes test findings and a recommend action plan
|Defect re-testing included
|Self certify with WCAG conformance badge across website/applications once all defects are resolved
|Guidance for publishing an Accessibility Statement
|Best practice guidance for building Accessibility into website design
Test your website and applications using our Digital Test Lab
Our digital functional and regression testing service provides customers with a cost effective, flexible, and high value testing service without the need to commit to a full-time team of professional testers.
Our accessibility testing service provides you with confidence that your websites and applications are accessible and usable by people of all abilities.
Finally, our compatibility testing service helps you to keep pace with the ever growing number of devices and platforms on the market.
Fika was implementing an evidence-based mobile application which aimed to improve the mental fitness and performance of their users. As Fika had no in-house specialist testing capability, they engaged Ten10 to conduct an initial Accessibility Audit to ensure all their users could access and use their bespoke application.
Contact the Team
Find out more about Accessibility Testing.